About the Ethical Record
The Ethical Record is the journal of Conway Hall Ethical Society.
The journal began in 1895 and has primarily provided abstracts and edited essays of the Society’s Sunday Lectures (now named Thinking on Sunday). It has developed into a showcase journal of the Society’s activities and events at Conway Hall.
The journal was originally produced on a monthly basis, but moved to quarterly publication in 2017 in order to prioritise the accessibility, reach and immediacy of the online content presented in this Ethical Record section of our website.
Historically and to this day, our events and activities have covered the following subjects:
- History of ideas
- Free Speech and freedom of expression
- Human rights
- Philosophy (especially moral philosophy and ethics)
- History and philosophy of science
- The politics of unbelief
- Neuroscience and consciousness
- Evolution (including the politics and history of evolutionary theory)
- Religion and public policy (including law, education and sexual politics)
- Contemporary ethical issues